Track(er) Blog
Week 7
March 6, 2008
Work continued on both the physical prototype and the user interface. Initial static patient testing was completed using wooden blocks to balance the weight held by the other foot.  Although this prototype is a good proof of concept for our design adjustments will need to be made to accommodate dynamic patients.
Week 6
February 28, 2008
Testing prototype was completed last week (see Picture), and load cells were calibrated using the Instron machine. A preliminary user interface was also created with the ability to collect data from each load cell and display it on an easy to use layout.
Week 5
February 21, 2008
Our load cells finally arrived. We did preliminary testing and discovered about at 0.5 V compression dependent variance in the cells. Hopefully this will be enough for our purposes. Scaled Solidworks drawings (see Picture) were completed of our testing apparatus, the building of which will take place tomorrow.
Week 4
February 14, 2008
We finally ordered our standard load cells and now are still waiting for the order to go through.
We attempted data acquisition on a load cell in the lab and subsequently blew up the meter due to faulty wiring (see pre-death picture). Developed preliminary experiment protocol
Next week we will reattempt data acquisition with signal modifier and multimeter
Week 3
February 7, 2008
We continued our search online for commercially available low profile load cells. We found that although such products do exist, they are mostly used for low load bearing situations. The smallest found was .22” tall but only approved for up to 10 lbf. This is not sufficient for our purposes. We also emailed companies asking their advice on finding load cell. The best suggestions cost upwards of $400 per load cell. Obviously way our of our budget. Our next steps will be to discuss other options other then small load cells to get the same result. The working idea at this point is to begin development by building a larger version of prototype with large load cells
Week 2
January 31, 2008
Based on work by N. Kobayashi et. al. and speaking with a physical therapist we determined the locations necessary to obtain sufficient data to make our design diagnostically relevant (see picture). As a result of this information we elected to skip initial testing with load cells and move directly to a scaled as possible version of our final project.
Our talk with the physical therapist also gave us further insight into the clinically relevant information needed and diagnostic uses for our project. We will work further with the PT and his patients as our design progresses.
Week 1
January 24, 2008
Welcome Back! We are now ready to embark on phase two of development: Prototype Development! To start out we have set up an initial budget. We will begin at the source of data and investigate different force data collection devices. Check back each week to see our project progress.
Recovery Track(er)